Monday, May 30, 2011

Don't Talk to Strangers

Of life's lessons, this is one I wish I hadn't learned. I grew up in the 50s—in other words, safer times. You could walk to school, go out at night, ask strangers for help. We were not cautious. Life was good. Times have changed.

I gave a stranded stranger a ride. She had a gazillion packages and a box of pampers. It was raining. Her car broke down, she said. Could I give her a lift? Otherwise, she would have to walk. Sure, I said and drove her into the city.

The next day Bank of America called to tell me there was suspicious activity on my debit card. The lady had stolen it, and my driver's license, and gone on a spending spree. I still haven't figured out how she did it. I called the local police who told me to call the St. Louis Police who told me I had to file a police report.

The detective was unbelievably nice. Actually, all three of them were. It seems I was robbed by a professional who had a very long record, a habit to support, a parole violation, and a lot of people looking for her.

I filed my report, shook the detective's hand, and left with this advice: Do not, EVER, give a stranger a ride. I am passing that wisdom along to you.

No comments: