Friday, June 3, 2011

Appreciating the St. Louis Police

For someone who has had no contact with the police in the past, suddenly, I have become acquainted with several officers in two different precincts. I'll spare you the details except to say that when I've needed them, they have been there for me.

I recently had occasion to visit the St. Louis Police Department on a holiday weekend. There were three detectives on duty, and they gathered around to talk to me and give me (much-needed) advice. I was there on serious business, but if such a visit can be enlightening and entertaining, this one was. I felt as if I had stepped into a Michael Connelly police novel.

What did I learn? Police officers came in all sizes, ages, and races. They are concerned and compassionate. They get involved, even with small crimes. They are real, honest, and funny. If anything positive can come out of a truly negative experience, it did in this case. I came away with an up-close-and-personal view of the often maligned city police department.

My guess is they probably don't get a lot of thank you notes. This is definitely one.

2 comments:

Linda Austin said...

There are always some power-hungry, belligerent guys, but most police are nice people trying to do an often dangerous job the best they can. Glad they made your experience better.

Bobbi Linkemer said...

So nice to know SOMEONE,SOMEWHERE is actually reading these posts. Thanks!