Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why hire a V.A.?

First, what is a V.A.? The letters stand for virtual assistant, which is a bit of misnomer, since she (usually a she) is a real person. Maybe a V.A. is considered "virtual" because you hire her on line and may never meet her in the flesh.

Second, what does a V.A. do? She does whatever you need done that her skills qualify her to do. Once upon a time she was called an administrative assistant and did the things secretaries did, but as life has become more technologically advanced, V.A.s have too. Most of them are far more computer and Web savvy than I am.

Why do you need a V.A.? Well, if you are a "solo-preneur" (one-man/woman band) wearing all the hats in your little business, it's probably because you're meeting yourself coming and going. You may be tearing out your hair from finding the business, managing the business, marketing the business, and, in between, doing whatever you are in business to do. Maybe you're tired. I'm tired just writing that.

I have struggled along for 20+ years trying to do it all. It hardly bears mentioning that in the beginning I was 20 years younger. The Internet, my Website, and social networking have been added to the above responsibilities. My marketing is actually generating leads, so I have many more people to respond to than I had in the past. I'm busy, busy, busy; and, quite frankly, I need help! Enter my V.A. (I love her!)

What's the lesson here? I think it is don't fritter away your creative energies doing things someone else can do a whole lot better. Do what you do best, and find a wonderful V.A. to do what you don't do so well. Everybody wins, especially your clients.

No comments: