Monday, March 22, 2010

Going "first class"

When I teach, my students always want to know how much it will cost (ballpark) to self-publish a book. I am never able to answer because it depends on so many factors. I've seen friends and clients spend little or nothing to many thousands of dollars. I've held beautiful books and poorly produced books in my hands. I've done it every which way, myself, from having a traditional publisher handle all the production details and paying the freight, to "designing" my own book and having it printed by a digital printing company. But this is the first time I've gone "first class."

My new book has been through all the steps, so far, from idea through layout. What sets it apart from others I've written is very thorough editing by three different editors, its own Web site and shopping cart, a detailed marketing plan, and design and layout by a professional book designer. If nothing else, it will be beautiful! What is also different is that I am more excited about this book than I have ever been.

I've thought it through and decided where I wanted to invest my money. There were, of course, more things to spend it on, but one must make choices. I chose a great designer, and I know I'm going to be very glad I did.

No comments: