Monday, March 15, 2010

I'd rather do it myself

"Why are you designing your own Web site?" my daughter asked me, as she watched me go crazy with confusion and frustration. "Why don't you just hire a professional to do it for you?"

Why, indeed. Why did I insist on doing it myself? Why did I spend days on the phone with my Web host and shopping cart supplier, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and how to make it right? Why did I tie knots in my shoulder muscles and walk around with a permanent headache? Why did I let other things go undone while I did this?

The reasons may elude me, but the lesson is clear. The next time I am struggling with a project and hear myself say, "I can do this; I know I can!" I will stop immediately and ask, is this something I do well? Am I going to end up wasting a lot of time and energy? Could someone else do it faster, better, cheaper?

If the answers are yes, yes, and yes, I'm going to yell for help.

No comments: