Wednesday, April 7, 2010

For the Love of Writing

Having a mission in life really helps the decision-making process. A mission is like a constitution. If I'm trying to decide whether to do something, and the choice contributes to my mission, it's a go. If it is in conflict with my mission, I forget it.

Let me be more specific. My personal mission is to help writers write. I believe everyone is a writer, whether he or she realizes it or not. So, a corollary to my mission is to help people move to the next level of their writing lives, whatever that may be. If I have a chance to teach a class in writing, I do it. If someone asks me to do something that has absolutely no relation to helping that person write or tell her story, I decline as gently as possible.

Tonight was the last session of my class in "Writing, Publishing, & Promoting a Nonfiction Book." As always, I loved teaching it and felt somewhat let down when it ended. All six students/potential authors want to take a follow-up class, which is truly gratifying and affirming. Who could ask for more?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're like the Pied Piper of writing. Your students will follow you anywhere! Congrats on another successful class.

Jude